UPDATE ON 2020 SPM CONFERENCE
2020 CONFERENCE CANCELLED
Society for Phenomenology and Media
March 11, 2020
The coronavirus is causing chaos around the world. The Estonia SPM conference in which you have been invited to participate HAS BEEN CANCELLED.
Concerns over what the WHO organization has today declared a pandemic has brought the world to a standstill—and academic conferences are no exception.
In keeping with the wise decision of the WHO, numerous country decisions, and hundreds of academic-society conferences, the officers of SPM have come to a number of decisions that may affect what you want to do. Please read the following four points carefully and consider what you want to do. Address all questions only to those listed below.
1. For questions concerning the cancelled conference, contact our host in Estonia:
2. A great deal of work, time, and money has already gone into preparations for the conference. As a consequence, SPM, like other academic societies and associations, will not be able to refund conference fees. If you have questions, contact the SPM Treasurer, Prof. Luis Acebal:
3. You may submit your paper for publication in the SPM journal, Glimpse. The deadline for this submission is July 31, 2020. For details on submission, contact the editor, Prof. Tirtha Prasad Mukhopadhyay:
Please note that this is a new email address for the SPM Editor.
4. SPM is in the process now of creating a "virtual conference" website. Although we have no details yet, the idea is that you will be able to submit the presentation of a paper as a video that will be posted online. You will be notified about the details of submission in the next few weeks. If you have questions, contact the SPM Acting Secretary:
5. Your conference and membership fees for the cancelled conference in Estonia can be applied to the 2021 SPM conference in Pennsylvania. For information about the Pennsylvania conference, go to:
If you have questions, please contact me at email@example.com.
President, Society for Phenomenology and Media